In an era when publisher consolidation, misinformation, polarization, and privacy violation have redefined the flow of information that we receive as “news,” Citizens need the data and tools necessary to truly understand how the news impacts them today and into the future.
Your support of ReNews will help launch and sustain a transformative Citizen experience of American news journalism. Your donation to ReNews will:
- Analyze news journalism across publishers, extract and identify patterns of influence, and present original journalism in each Citizen-reader’s individual context.
- Curate and analyze publicly available data defining every news topic, issue and policy’s relevance to each American Citizen.
- Build a community of engaged Citizen-readers, journalists and academics committed to restoring journalism’s role in democracy.
- Use content and data analytics to surface and report on societal inequities and commission independent journalism to investigate those issues.
- Publish original data journalism covering the lifecycle of policy to development to address inequity and injustice relevant to each Citizen’s profile.
- Help build a sustainable business model reinforcing the role news in American democracy.
Renews Context Services, Inc. is incorporated in California as a not-for-profit organization and is currently partnered with Community Ventures as our non-profit fiscal sponsor. We are applying for 501c3 tax-exempt status from the Internal Revenue Service.
Our Donor Policy
ReNews is committed to providing everyone with access to high quality, deeply researched, data-based journalism regardless of their ability to pay. We do not accept advertisements, and we have no paywalls or subscription fees. We depend exclusively on the support of individuals, foundations and organizations who share our commitment to reporting on and confronting inequality.
We are committed to transparency in every aspect of funding our organization.
To maintain the integrity of our journalism, there is a strict firewall between funders and the newsroom. Our news judgments are made independently – not based on or influenced by donors or any revenue source. We do not give supporters the rights to assign, review or edit content. We do not take commissions or assignments from any funder. Accepting financial support does not mean we endorse donors or their products, services, or opinions.
We accept gifts, grants and sponsorships from individuals, organizations, and foundations to help with our general operations, coverage of specific topics and special projects. As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that operates as a public trust, we will not pay certain taxes. We may receive funds from standard government programs offered to nonprofits or similar businesses.
As a news nonprofit, we avoid accepting charitable donations from anonymous sources, government entities, political parties, elected officials or candidates seeking public office. We will not accept donations from sources who, deemed by our board of directors, present a conflict of interest with our work or compromise our independence. We will make public all revenue sources and donors who give $5,000 or more per year, and we will list them on this page as well as in our 990s.
Make a Donation to ReNews[Insert link to Community Ventures’ 3rd party payment platform, including tag indicating the donor is coming from ReNews.us.]